December 30, 2016
ERS Game Studios
3 Difficulties + Custom Mode
Exclusive Bonus Chapter
Integrated Strategy Guide
Wallpapers & Screensavers
Soundtracks & Cutscenes
Achievements & Collectibles
Replayable HOs & Puzzles
The Raven is one of the better and one of the scariest Dark Tales games in recent memory. The game borrows the horror vibe from Edgar Allan Poe’s masterpiece, The Raven, and waves into a full-fledged storyline. Not long after Allen Dillinger had discovered an artifact that can raise the dead, he began to hallucinate and confused between imagination and reality. Ultimately, his insanity led him to his death. Join Detective Dupin on his investigation and find out the mysteries behind Dillinger’s suicide note to his lost love, Lenore.
This time around, we were actually engaged by the storyline. The story was definitely very loosely based on the source material and this might disappoint some EAP’s fans, but we felt that ERS’ spin on the story was satisfyingly fast-paced and quite interesting. The game was also enhanced by the high production values. The graphics are beautifully drawn and the cutscenes are spectacular, better than what we have seen from ERS-G as of late. In addition, the background music also does an effective job in building the suspense of the game.
Gameplay wise, Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe’s The Raven is pretty typical. We found the game to be relatively easy, especially during the adventure parts. Although to be fair, the game was obviously professionally executed and all the game mechanics complement each other very well. As for the hidden object scenes and the puzzles, they were both arguably standard, nothing to be too excited about.
We were captivated all the way through four hours of the game, as well as the one-hour bonus chapter. The Collector’s Edition comes with all sorts of extra features; wallpapers, soundtracks, movies, concept art, screensavers, replayable hidden objects, replayable mini-games, achievements, and collectibles.
In this series:
- Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Murders in the Rue Morgue
- Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat
- Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial
- Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug
- Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death
- Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher
- Nightfall: An Edgar Allan Poe Mystery
- Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Mystery of Marie Roget
- Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart
- Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Metzengerstein
- Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven
- Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Lenore